Makes 2 loaves
3 1⁄2 cups flour
1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1⁄2 teaspoon ground mace
2 cups RIPE Imperfect Hachiya persimmon flesh (4–6 persimmons, peeled and cored)
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
4 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten 2⁄3 cup bourbon
1 1⁄2 cups pecans, toasted and chopped
1 1⁄2 cups golden raisins (OR Imperfect Pomegranate Seeds)
Roopam's Tip: This is a HUGE recipe and I would immediately cut ingredients by half. To lighten it up, instead of 1 cup of butter try 1/2 cup Imperfect applesauce and 1/2 cup of butter OR go for broke and try a full cup of Imperfect applesauce. If needed, replace flour with your favorite gluten-free mix and eggs with chia or flax "eggs" to make a vegan version. (1tbsp of seed + 2.5 tbsp of water)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter two 9- by 5-inch loaf pans. Line the buttered pans with parchment paper, to cover the bottom and long sides of the pan. This will keep the raisins from sticking to the sides of the pan.
- Sift together the flour, salt, soda, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and mace in a large mixing bowl. Scrape the persimmon flesh into a blender and process on a medium speed for 30–60 seconds, until it’s a smooth purée. Scrape the persimmon pulp into a second large bowl and stir in the sugar, brown sugar, melted butter, eggs, bourbon, pecans and golden raisins (pomegranate seeds). When the wet ingredients are fully combined, gently fold in the dry ingredients to the mixture, 1⁄2 cup at a time. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pans and bake for 65–75 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 30 minutes before removing from the pan and slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature. This persimmon bread is very moist and will keep well for several days in an airtight container at room temperature. Makes two 9- by 5-inch loaves. Start to finish: 2 hours.
ZUCCHINI NOODLES WITH PERSIMMON GINGER DRESSING (RAW, VEGAN, GF)
Author: Jasmine Briones / SweetSimpleVegan.com
4 Imperfect zucchini, spiralized2 super ripe Imperfect hachiya persimmons¼-1/3 inch fresh ginger (or ¼-1/2 tsp ginger powder)Juice of ½-1 lime (to taste)
- Blend all of the ingredients (except for the zucchini) until smooth. Adjust lime to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the zucchini noodles, mix, and enjoy!